Biologist and data scientist with 15 years of experience in research on land use, climate, and biodiversity change. Strong interest in environmental consequences of transportation infrastructure, planning, and policy, in particular the global climate change consequences of modes and patterns of transportation. Deep knowledge of statistical tools for analyzing complex data sets. Strong communication skills, with extensive peer-reviewed publications and experience lecturing on sustainable energy and environmental science.
Tools I use
Data wrangling, visualization, and statistical modeling is my everyday work. This modeling work can include mixed-effect models, time-series analysis, multivariate analyses (ordination, classification, and clustering), structural equation modeling, analysis of experimental and observational data, and machine learning. For these I use:
- R + RStudio + rmarkdown
- git + GitHub
Proficiency for specific jobs
Some projects require spatial modeling, latent variable modeling, hierarchical Bayesian approaches. Visualization tools needed may be interactive, web-hosted, or simply nicely-formatted graphics in a publishable PDF. There’s a large number of tools I use for these types of tasks, including:
- ArcGIS, spatial data analysis packages in R
- Stan for Bayesian modeling
- Tableau, Plot.ly, Shiny for visualziation
- LaTeX, bibtex
Learning more as needed
I am working Python more and more to supplement what I do in R. For a long time, everything I needed to do I could accomplish in R, but am coming around to the need for Python for a broader range of tasks beyond statistical modeling and visualiation. As tasks arise with needs beyond R, I’m learning:
- Python - especially pandas and geopandas
- Shell scripts
- Amazon Web Services for cloud computing
Things I’ve written
- Author or co-author on over 30 peer-reviewed publications. Associate Editor for Journal of Ecology and Journal of Plant Ecology, and reviewer for over 20 journals, including Biogeosciences, Global Ecology and Biogeography, Nature Communications, Ecology Letters, Food Policy, and Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
- Extensive experience synthesizing information about highly technical topics for the general audience, particularly in the fields of ecology, environmental sciences, and global change science.
- Knowledgeable on topics related to climate, transportation, land use change, energy, and sustainability.